Recipe Option 2: Creamy Chocolate Smoothie from only 165 Calories, with increased protein
All calorie calculations are an estimate. Calorie-content varies according to product and accuracy of measurement. Check the info on your packaging if you require exact numbers for what you eat.
- 1 cup dairy Milk, skim works well, giving loads of protein without the fat
- 1/2 cup Water
- 4 small Dates, pitted & soaked in a little warm water while you prepare everything else
- 3 Tbs Cocoa Powder,
- 3 Tbs Hemp Hearts
- 1 large Banana, frozen
- 2 tsp instant Coffee – really enhances the chocolate flavor
OR a small Espresso
OR a few drops Coffee Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
- Ice cubes, to taste
Blend until smooth and enjoy.
- Remember, it’s fat that fills us up. Plus fat is necessary for our bodies to get the nutrients from fat-soluble vitamins (A,D, E and K). Lack of fat in our diet has been a major problem over the last 50 years with low-fat diets being considered healthy. We have been indoctrinated, making it very hard for many of us to accept modern research that contradicts all we’ve been taught.
- Note we changed the requirement from Medjool dates in the 1st recipe, which are about 60 calories each, to 4 small dates that are about 20 cals each, thus saving 40 calories.
Serves 3; approx 165 cals each
Serves 2; approx 245 cals each
Calorie calculations are based on using skim milk.
- Semi-skimmed milk will add 30 cals to the whole recipe; ie 15 for each of 2 glasses and 10 for each of 3 glasses;
- Whole milk will add 67 cals to the whole recipe, ie 34 for each of 2 glasses and 22 for each of 3 glasses.
Swap up to half your milk for Kefir or Yogurt to include healthy probiotics in your smoothie.
- 1/2 cup Kefir made with whole milk is approx 52 cals;
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek Yogurt is approx 65 cals; made with 2% milk it is 85 cals; and made with whole milk it is approx 138 cals.
Why the difference between yogurt and kefir? The kefir grains digest the natural sugar in the milk, reducing it by about 80%.
NOTE: If you make your own Greek-style yogurt keep the whey that is strained out. Use it as the liquid in your smoothies as this will also give a little protein. (It also makes great, light pancakes!)
You may also like:
Tasty Chocolate Coconut Weight Loss Smoothie Meal (499 shares)
2 Protein-Rich Peanut Butter Hemp Smoothie (71 shares)
Tasty Tropical Pineapple Smoothie for Under 200 Calories (6.8k shares)